New Mexico Society for Acupuncture and Asian Medicine (NMSAAM) is the professional organization for DOMs in NM, and NMSAAM is a member of the American Society of Acupuncturists (ASA), our national organization. Together, NMSAAM and the ASA are advocates for our profession and for our members, promoting Acupuncture and Asian Medicine in NM and the USA as a crucial resource for health care
- For you DOMs who may be reticent to join NMSAAM out of concern for pressure from NMSAAM to share time and talent, (which is always welcome), it is absolutely not required.
- For you DOMs who may have false guilt about not having time to be be involved with NMSAAM, get over it!.
- Most NMSAAM members do not have time to do anything other than pay membership dues, and you are our backbone!
- Membership dues are critically important to support our professional organization, where together we can and do make a difference.
- Our membership dues are competitive, and there are several payment plans; yearly, quarterly and monthly.
- Last year NMSAAM hired professional lobbyists, without raising dues, and it is best to keep that momentum going.
Recent NMSAAM Accomplishments, as summarized by our own Dr. Tim Walsh:
- We had October 24th 2021 officially declared Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine Day in New Mexico
- Together with the ASA (Acupuncture Society of America) we successfully blocked the elimination of acupuncture billing codes from the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- We recently renewed our contract with our lobbying group. Having allies in the Roundhouse has been instrumental for NMSAAM, and the interests of our DOM members. We now have a seat at the table with key legislators and committees. We’re able to give input and sponsor bills, such as with the NM Health Securities Act, Medicaid coverage, and the Rural Tax Credit.
- Your membership supports the collective voice of our profession in NM, and nationally as our state’s voice in the ASA. We are continuing our advocacy efforts in the 2023 NM Legislative Session, where our goals are to protect our valuable scope of practice and increase access to acupuncture medicine for all New Mexicans.
Reminder: In 2024, Our Practice Act will sunset, and we need to stay on top of it. It has been easy to be complacent, since it usually is renewed as is. Times may well be a-changing! See Dr. Robert Bibeau’ article on our website, “On the Sunset of the New Mexico Practice Act and Safeguarding the Profession into the Future”: https://nmsaam.org/on-the-sunset-of-the-new-mexico-practice-act-and-safeguarding-the-profession-into-the-future-by-dr-robert-j-bibeau-dom/.
First Time NMSAAM Professional Members, whether a seasoned or a newly licensed DOM, can claim a one time $50 discount from the $150 annual dues if choosing the yearly payment option. How? Key WATERTIGER into the coupon area at check-out.
New Mexico has an abundance of talented DOMs, and we can help our profession to thrive by at least supporting NM’s professional organization. During the current pandemic, many have slowed down, focused on priorities, and realize that it may time to keep up with our professional group, give back with our money, time and/or talent. Thus, if you do want to be an influencer in our profession, join NMSAAM, and be involved as much or as little as you want to be.
Our active Committees include Communications, Continuing Education, Governance, Insurance, Legislation, Membership, Public Relations, and Website. If you would like to join a committee or simply send suggestions to a committee, please send a text to email@example.com.
Members will vote for NMSAAM Board of Directors at our virtual Annual Meeting, on Saturday, September 17, 2022. Interested members, who want to be a Board Director, President, Vice-President, Secretary, or Treasurer, please send a letter of intent and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also nominate possible candidates by submitting a letter to email@example.com.
In 2022-2023, we especially need a Secretary who can take notes at our virtual BOD meetings that are held roughly every other month, sometimes monthly, and read NMSAAM gmails to file, forward or answer.
Join NMSAAM, where together, we have a voice, even if we are each wildly different from one another!
Please note: This article expresses the opinions and research of the author, and does not necessarily reflect all views or policies of NMSAAM members, the NMSAAM BOD, or the ASA.